Whitney Shelhamer Fine Jewelry (whitneyshelhamer.com) is our online sister store and features our entire line of in-house jewelry.
Do you do custom pieces?
As a bespoke design studio, we are proud to offer a wide array of options, to fit the personality and taste of each customer! When it comes to customization, a great place to start is browsing our designs to find which one speaks to you, and we can work together from there to create your perfect piece. Each of Whitney’s pieces are customizable, ie. stone type, stone size, material (solid 14k or 18k white, yellow, or rose gold), finish, etc… Once you find a design you love, feel free to email our team and we will work with you to design the ring of your dreams!
Ethically Grown vs. Ethically Mined Stones. What’s the difference?
It is extremely important to our team that all of our stones are ethically sourced and certified conflict free, in accordance to guidelines set by the Kimberley Process. Ethically mined and ethically grown stones are actually chemically and visually identical, an ethically grown stone is an authentic stone and we do not use any fake or imitation stones in our pieces. The only difference between the two is the location in which the stone grows and the environmental impact. While mined stones come from the earth and require manual labor to extract, ethically grown stones are produced in a controlled environment that replicates the pressure and necessary elements for a stone to be formed. Ethically mined stones bear a romantic aspect, as they were formed and are a part of the earth that we live and love within. That being said, ethically grown stones have their own benefits that many of our customers actively seek out. Ethically grown stones, because of their controlled environment, remove any negative environmental impact while coming in at a lower price point, in comparison to a mined stone. Both avenues are excellent, and we are happy to offer these options to our wonderful customers. If you have any further questions, and aren’t sure which option is right for you, please feel free to reach out to our team via email!
What stones are available?
At Whitney Shelhamer Fine Jewelry, we are happy to offer our customers a wide array of beautiful stone options with varying color, cut, shape and hardness. All of our stones are of the highest quality and cut by the top professionals in the industry. It is important to us that all of our stones are ethically sourced and certified conflict free, in accordance to guidelines set by the Kimberley Process. We do not use any fake or imitation stones in our pieces, but offer the option between mined and ethically grown stones (as mentioned above). Some of our most popular stone options include:
- Diamond: This beautiful stone takes the top spot with a 10 on Mohs Scale of Hardness. Diamonds continue to withstand the test of time as the classic choice for wedding and engagement rings due to their brilliance (sparkle) and hardness. Coming in a variety of colors (i.e. white, champagne, black, green, blue, orange, and yellow) and qualifications, this special stone can suit any personality, style, and budget.
- Moissanite: Moissanite ranks a whopping 9.25 on Mohs Scale of Hardness, making it the second hardest stone available. This stone was first discovered in 1893 by a French scientist named Henri Moissan in Arizona, in a crater created by a meteorite that fell to Earth. This stone is now ethically grown, making it highly sought after due to its lack of negative environmental impact. This brilliant stone actually boasts a higher refractive index than a Diamond, meaning it features a greater sparkle factor! It is also the only stone, besides a Diamond, that GIA will certify as colorless. Moissanite is comparable to a Diamond in hardness and sparkle, all while coming in at a significantly lower price point, making this stone one of the most popular among our customers.
- Sapphire: This gemstone scales a 9 on Mohs Scale of Hardness, making it the second strongest natural stone in existence today. Though it is most well known for its stunning, cobalt blue coloring, this stone also comes in a wide variety of colors to suit the desires of any client (available upon request).
- Topaz: Topaz ranks an 8 on Mohs Scale of Hardness. This beautiful stone comes in a variety of colors, including white. Many of our customers opt for this stone because of its wonderful price point, which allows for a larger stone on a smaller budget!
- Aquamarine: This beautiful, watery-blue stone ranks a 7.5-8 on Mohs Scale of Hardness. Aquamarine is particularly stunning due to its blue and slightly greenish-blue hues.
- Morganite: Morganite ranks a 7.5-8 on Mohs Scale of Hardness. This beautiful stone comes in pink and peach colorings, making it perfect for the blush-loving bride.
- Emerald: This stunning stone ranks a 7.5-8 on Mohs Scale of Hardness. Emerald’s deep green color has earned its name as the gem of spring.
- Spinel: Spinel scores a 7.5-8 on Mohs Scale of Hardness. This stone comes in a variety of colors ranging from intense red to a stunning black.
- Green Amethyst: Green Amethyst scales a 7 on Mohs Scale of Hardness. This pale green stone has quickly become a shop favorite, as it flatters almost every skin tone.
- Quartz: These stones score a 7 on Mohs Scale of Hardness. From Smokey to Lemon Quartz, there is truly an option for everyone.
- Black Onyx: This stunning stone ranks a 6.5 on Mohs Scale of Hardness. Its depth of color makes it a wonderful choice for those looking for an alternative, edgy option.
Don't see the stone you are looking for? Please feel free to reach out to our team via email and we can work together to find the perfect stone for you!
Stones featuring a lower hardness and refractive index require a little extra cleaning and care, to maintain and showcase their brilliance and shine. We offer a wonderful jewelry cleaner in our brick and mortar for purchase but a simple mild soap and water mixture is a wonderful alternative as well. Allow your ring to soak for a few minutes and use a soft bristle brush (a toothbrush works very well) to really get under the stone, removing any lotion, soap, or substance that may be trapped underneath. After drying with a non abrasive cloth, your piece will be sparkling like new!
I already have a stone, can you reset it into one of your designs?
It is extremely important to our team that all of our stones are ethically sourced and certified conflict free, in accordance to guidelines set by the Kimberley Process. At Whitney Shelhamer Fine Jewelry, we source the highest quality stones, cut by the highest industry professionals, so you can rest assured you are receiving the best quality in product and customer service possible. Because we want to offer our clients the best experience and product, we do not currently work with customer provided/heirloom stones, as there are occasions where heirloom stones can have fissures that can be problematic in re-setting.
What happens if I lose or chip a stone?
As your satisfaction and peace of mind is of utmost importance to us here at Whitney Shelhamer Fine Jewelry, we are proud to offer our customers one of the most generous warranties and guarantees in the industry (view our full policy here: https://www.whitneyshelhamer.com/pages/policies). Our engagement rings all come with an extended one-year warranty. This ensures that any manufacturer error will show itself well before this time, which we will be happy to repair free-of-charge! Every piece is constructed by designer with the utmost of care, using the highest quality materials. We pride ourselves on having an almost non-existent design flaw rate. At Whitney Shelhamer Fine Jewelry, we source the highest quality stones, cut by the highest industry professionals, so you can rest assured you are receiving the best quality in product and customer service possible. That being said, as is industry standard, the care of the stone rests with the wearer, as there is no way of guaranteeing a stone will not incur damage or theft once it leaves our studio. We do not cover stone damage or stone loss within our warranty. As with any organic material, there is always a possibility of damage. This is why we suggest covering any fine jewelry purchase through a personal insurance plan, or through Jeweler’s Mutual. Personal plans are created for situations such as stone loss, damage, or wear and tear and your insurer will be happy to walk you through those options.
How does solid gold wear on the skin?
All of our rings are made with solid 14k gold (18k available upon request) that is sourced from the top suppliers in the industry, to ensure quality, purity, and ethical sourcing. Solid 14k gold is the most widely used material in the creation of fine jewelry due to its beauty and durability! The romantic warmth it exudes, is an inspiration we take into the creation of all of our pieces. Solid gold reigns as the top choice of material, especially for those with allergies and sensitivities to other metals. Sometimes solid gold can leave a black mark around someone’s finger, depending on a person’s skin chemistry due to diet or even with certain medications/cosmetics. Through a Google search, you will find that this is actually a common occurrence with solid gold pieces. Since it tends to be different for everyone, we do not have a specific answer as to what exactly might be reacting with the gold.
I ordered the wrong size, can you resize the ring for me?
As a bespoke design studio, we focus on the design and creation of new pieces that suit each customer’s needs. When purchasing a custom piece, we always suggest double checking the size before placing the order. Because each piece is made to order, we do not offer resizing or repair services that fall outside of a manufacturer error. Resizing is one of the simplest and most common procedures in fine jewelry and any local, reputable repair studio will be happy to provide this service. Our typical lead time is 3-5 weeks for complete construction of our pieces, while a repair studio will be able to get your piece back to you within a day or so, as this is their field. As we cannot guarantee the work of another studio, any piece that has been worked on or resized will no longer fall under our warranty.
How do I clean my ring?
When it comes to keeping your stone shining and brilliant, the key is cleaning underneath the stone and setting for that extra sparkle. We use a wonderful, natural cleaning solution kit in studio that we are happy to offer to our customers for purchase. Please reach out to our team via email for this option. That being said, a simple mixture of water and gentle soap with a soft bristle toothbrush does the job nicely as well.